Monday, May 2, 2011

Here We Go

Of course, I have to comment on the death of Osama Bin Laden. As to how I feel about it, I'm actually a bit unsure. After 20 years of military service you'd think I'd be running through the streets singing Lee Greenwood. However, what I am doing is sitting here realizing that we may have solved one of our self-inflicted wounds. I realize it is dangerous to use this sort of tone directly after the announcement. I don't need something like this to be appreciative of my military brothers and sisters - I share blood, sweat and tears with them. And if he truly is dead, then a hearty Bravo Zulu on a job well done.

This much I know - WE created Bin Laden. Starting in 1979, we sent in the CIA to train, organize, fund and arm Bin Laden and his mujahidins to fight against the Soviets. So, in actuality, it has taken 32 years - not 10 - to take this man down.

Of course, all we have is a press conference and printed news so far. There are no pictures and his body was buried at sea less than 24 hours after the news. People who die in the U.S. of natural causes aren't buried that fast. How fast were we to provide picture after picture of Hussein and his son's bodies? Some of you may be thinking that pictures of Bin Laden's body may incite blowback. What - you don't think dumping it in the ocean and not returning it to his family won't? Do you think that radical terrorists around the world are going to go quiet simply because he's dead? Showing pictures to prove his death will cause no more damage than the jubilant celebration going on in America today will do.

And Obama was eloquent as he attempted to tap into the "joy-joy" feeling that existed for about a week after 9/11. That short period where no one hated anyone else - unless you were a muslim. Blacks, whites, hispanics, asians...all together. I doubt that happens over this and, if it does, it will be even more fake than the first time. You do realize that 9/11 is what convinced the Westboro Baptist Church that this was god's punishment for homosexuals right? Well, perhaps god hated Bin Laden just a bit more this time Westboro.

I am happy this is over, but I am not blinded by the story. I know the U.S. funded Bin Laden, I know that the title Al Qaeda is the name of the list kept by the CIA of members of Bin Ladin's mujahidins - not what the call themselves and I know the FBI never listed 9/11 on Bin Laden's most-wanted rap because they didn't have the evidence to tie him to it.

We now enter a scary moment in time. After 9/11 we saw what the Bush administration did in the name of national security. With an event like this, don't act shocked if it gets even worse.

So, if it is true, congrats to my brothers and sisters in arms. But if they fail to produce concrete evidence of the identity, then I may be off to Morpheus to take the red pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment